Athlone IT 2-4
John O’Shea reports from the Mardyke
IN THIS SIGERSON Cup first round clash played at the Mardyke on tonight, UCC came out on top in quite devastating fashion.
UCC, who have won the Sigerson title on 21 occasions and most recently in 2014, set their stall out from the very start.
Paudie Clifford posted 3-1 for the hosts, while Conor Horgan (2-2) and Gary Murphy (1-4) also raised green flags in a devastating attacking performance.
There was a gulf from the outset between the two teams, as UCC made a very strong statement of their intent.
Killian Spillane, who finished with five points, is one of a strong Kerry contingent in the UCC squad and he made his mark on proceedings with a number of finely taken scores.
Sean O’Shea was among a host of players from the Kingdom that posed problems throughout.
By the half time break, UCC had a lead of 3-16 to the 1-1 of Athlone IT, the score told you everything about how one-sided this game transpired.
Horgan was also to prove clinical in front of goal, as did Clifford, the older brother of highly rated Kerry footballer David.
The one-way traffic continued after the restart and right up until the very conclusion.
UCC showed no signs of letting up and they continued to find scores with clinical effect.
The Cork side now progress into the quarter-finals and will take some stopping based on this showing.
Athlone will lick their wounds, have to dust themselves down and go again in the back door stages.
Scorers for UCC: Paudie Clifford 3-1, Conor Horgan 2-2, Gary Murphy 1-4, Killian Spillane 0-5, Conor Geaney 1-1, Eimhin Courtney 0-4, Sean O’Shea 0-3, Cian Kiely, David Shaw 0-2 each, Ronan Buckley, James McEntee 0-1 each
Scorers for Athlone IT: Rian Brady, Billy Berry 1-0 each, David McManus 0-2, Gavin Horan 0-1.
1. Eoghan O’Brien (Churchill, Kerry)
2. Liam O’Donovan (Clonakilty, Cork)
3. Kevin Flahive (Douglas, Cork)
4. Graham O’Sullivan (Dromid Pearses, Kerry)
5. James McEntee (Curraha, Meath)
6. Dan O’Brien (Glenflesk, Kerry)
7. Cian Kiely (Ballincollig, Cork)
8. Pádraig Lucey (Killarney Legion, Kerry)
9. Jack Kennedy (Clonmel Commercials, Tipperary)
10. Paudie Clifford (Fossa, Kerry)
11. Sean O’Shea (Kenmare, Kerry)
12. Conor Horgan (Nemo Rangers, Cork)
13. Gary Murphy (Castletownbere, Cork)
14. Killian Spillane (Templenoe, Kerry)
15. Eimhin Courtney (Éire Óg, Clare)
23. Brian Ó Beaglaoich (An Ghaeltacht, Kerry) for O’Brien (28)
29. Michael Flood (St Brigid’s, Kerry) for O’Donovan(HT)
34. Andrew Barry (Na Gaeil, Kerry) for Kennedy (HT)
31. Conor Geaney (Dingle, Kerry) for Clifford (HT)
18. David Shaw (Dr Crokes, Kerry) for Spillane (HT)
19. Ronan Buckley (Listry, Kerry) for Horgan (40)
Click Here: Atlanta United FC Jersey
1. Cormac Haslam (Galway)
2. Darragh Healy (Westmeath)
3. Damien Carroll (Westmeath)
4. Eabhan Tully (Roscommon)
5. Einne O’Connor (Clare)
6. David McManus (Roscommon)
7. Jamie Smyth (Meath)
8. Killian Maguire (Cavan)
9. Gavin Horan (Kerry)
10. Sean Keogh (Cavan)
11. Rian Brady (Longford)
12. Daire Mullin (Roscommon)
13. Robbie Forde (Westmeath)
14. Billy Berry (Westmeath)
15. Sean Clarke (Longford)
19 Ciaran McDonagh (Galway) for Smyth (12)
20. Cian O’Dea (Mayo) for Keogh (40)
17. Tommy Lennon (Westmeath) for Mullin (50)
Referee: Richard Moloney (Limerick)
Subscribe to our new podcast, Heineken Rugby Weekly on The42, here: